Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The lists that define us

Our lists define us, I sometimes suspect. Our task lists; our grocery lists; our address lists; our errand lists; our lists of phone calls to return. Looking at our personal lists is like exploring cultural anthropology. I often think no document would tell more about any segment of society if put into a time capsule than individual To Do lists. Here’s the set of lists currently stored on my electronic organizer:

* Recipe for honey lime glazed chicken (yes, I’m still a vegetarian)

* Grocery list – the boring kind (Market Basket): dog food, sour cream, laundry detergent, grape nuts

* Grocery list – the interesting kind (Whole Foods): Pleasant Morning Buzz coffee beans, that runny expensive cheese I can never remember the name of, large green olives marinated in herbes Provencal, Swiss chard, the corn muffins my kids love for afterschool snacks

* Things to give my sister Sarah when she next visits: her hardcover copy of “The Help,” four dollars, her pick of all the girls size 8 dresses Holly won’t wear

* Dates we went to NARA beach this summer (to monitor whether the season pass was cost-effective): more than ten visits, so it absolutely was

* Websites for places I’d like to stay on vacation

* Restaurants I’d like to try

* Books I want to read

* Books to recommend (for when people ask me for recommendations and I draw a blank)

* People to whom Holly still owes thankyou notes (her birthday is August 3rd)

* Steps to take to prepare the motorboat (which is docked in Maine) for a hurricane

* …and, of course, a list of ideas for blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment