Thursday, September 3, 2009

Old traditions, new routines

On the one hand, we really like traditions and rituals at this time of year, at least I do. I bring each of the kids on a special shopping excursion for school supplies, new clothes, and dinner out during the last week of vacation. In years past, the whole family always walked to school together on the first day. And we always have chicken pot pie for dinner that same night.

On the other hand, back-to-school time is a good time to start new routines. As the kids advance through the grades, school is different every year, and therefore it makes sense to reevaluate established routines as the new year begins. This year for the first time, the kids are on different schedules; Tim starts school an hour earlier than Holly does, so we couldn't all walk to school together yesterday (in fact, I was pleasantly surprised that Holly even managed to be dressed and groomed in time for me to take the annual back-to-school photo). Instead, everyone (except for Rick) biked, but at different times: first I rode up with Tim on regular bikes, then I ferried Holly up on the tag-along bike. This morning, both kids took the bus, which they've never before done in the morning, but I've decided driving to school is wasteful and I certainly can't do it for two different shifts now that they're on separate schedules, so their new choice in the morning is bus or bike. Tim couldn't bike today because he had to bring his trumpet in; Holly just didn't want to. So they both took the bus for the first time.

The new school year has brought an unanticipated change in routine for me as well. Last year I worked from home but never thought about going running during the day because I wanted to wait for Tim. Now that he's no longer running with me, I realized yesterday I could go any time -- so I went in the middle of the day, right around the time the dog started acting restless. and I did the same thing today, which was Running Streak Day 754 for me.

This proved to have myriad advantages. First of all, it tires out the dog for several hours and then she's not fidgety while I'm trying to work. Second, as the weather turns colder, it will allow me to run during the warmest part of the day. Third, it eliminates a lot of end-of-day rush for us. When I used to wait for Tim to get home before going running, we were usually squishing it in before dinner, or right after dinner when he should have been doing homework. Running with him was wonderful, but having the freedom to go at any time of day is a great benefit to not running with him.

Also there's something really novel about exploring the town by foot at that hour. I know it so much better at other times of day; I usually don't go out in the late morning. Yesterday and today, I ran just before noon, and the town had a very different feel from what it has at rush hour or just before dusk. Rather than commuters passing through town, I see locals, and outdoor laborers, and preschoolers on their way home from morning sessions. I see seniors from the elderly housing complex out for a walk. There are toddlers using the playground, and babies being pushed along in carriages.

So traditions and rituals are good, but I think I've put too much importance in them in the past, believing that making something a tradition gave it intrinsic worth. Changes in routine can be positive as well. Right now, I feel like a new schedule has infused us with fresh energy for the new year that lies ahead, waiting to be experienced one unfolding day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment